The Soviet Union’s 76.2mm SU76 was adopted in 1943 and was mounted on a T70 tank chassis. Adopted in August of the same year, the 85mm SU85. The SU85 tank destroyer was served by a crew of four, and 2,050 were produced until July of 1944. It had an 85mm Gun D-5S mounted on a T34 tank chassis. Other Soviet selfpropelled ordnance fielded by the Soviets in 1943 included the 122m SU122 and the SU152 assault gun. Both pieces were mounted on the Stalin tank chassis, with the SU122 incorporating a 122mm gun and the SU152 the 152.4mm Howitzer ML-205S. Crewed by five men, a total of 704 SU122 assault guns were manufactured in 1943. The SU100 tank-destroyer was adopted in 1944, and approximately 1,675 were manufactured into June of 1945. With a crew of four, it had a 100mm Gun D-10S mounted on a T34 tank chassis. The SU100 had a maximum combat range of 3,281 yards.
The first of the heavy Soviet self-propelled artillery carriages was the SU-152, which first appeared in 1943, just in time to take part in the tank battles at Kursk. It was built onto a KV-2 heavy tank chassis and was typical of later World War II designs in that the tank chassis was taken virtually unchanged and a large armoured box was built on to the front of the hull. The weapon was a 152-mm (6-in) M-1937 howitzer mounted in a large and heavy mantlet on the front superstructure plate and there were roof hatches, one of which had provision for mounting an anti-aircraft machine-gun. This first vehicle was intended for use as much as an anti-armour weapon as a heavy assault weapon, for the Red Army made no differentiation between antitank and other weapons when it came to tactics. The SU-152 relied upon sheer projectile weight and power to defeat enemy armour.